Today I cast the material from which I will be forging the hilt parts for the sword.
We made a ladle and a simple ingot mould 1”x1”x6”. I chopped up some copper and heated it in the forge.
The mould was placed on a bed of sand in the leg vice to catch any liquid copper that missed in the pour.
I desperately wanted to video the pour, but the batteries in my camera had other ideas…I also did a water cast which was very exciting but got no pictures of that either!
I will be doing another large water cast soon as part of a commission, so I will document that properly.
The black material is borax, adhered to the surface of the ingot.
Tomorrow I will begin hot forging the copper into the right forms to make the guards.
I love liquid metal.